Born in Nyíregyháza on 20th January, 1962. Secondary school in Nyíregyháza and in 1981 entered the L. Kossuth University, Debrecen. Graduated from the KLTE University of Debrecen in 1986 (diploma in biology, ecology). Took Post-graduate degree (Ph.D.), ecology, in Debrecen University in 1990. Worked for the Hungarian Ornithological and Nature Conservation Society as research fellow between 1987-1994. Works in the Department of Environmental Sciences, Nyíregyházi College, Nyíregyháza Hungary, as associate professor/professor since 1994.
Since 1981, voluntary leader of Local Chapters of the Hungarian Ornithological and Nature Conservation Society, one of the largest nature conservation NGO in Szabolcs-Szatmár region and founder of the Upper Tisza Foundation.
Professor, Department of Environmental Sciences, Nyíregyházi College, Nyíregyháza, full-time.
Leader of the RIPARIA Ecological Research Group of the BirdLife Hungary, voluntary
Chairman of the Bird Monitoring Comittee of the BirdLife Hungary, voluntary
Leader, Local Chapters of the Hungarian Ornithological and Nature Conservation Society voluntary
Ecological Advisor, Upper Tisza Foundation, voluntary.
FIELDS OF INTEREST:
Ecology, Behavioural Ecology, Evolutionary biology
Computerised database management
Role of NGOs in the nature protection
- Computerised Data Bank for Bird Migration Data (Hungarian Scientific Research Fund (OTKA) # 1504, 1987-1990)
- Development of Methods for Ecological Monitoring of the Hungarian Breeding Birds (Hungarian Scientific Research Fund (OTKA) # 1147, 1991-1994)
- Evolutionary and Ecological factors in the Colonial Breeding (Hungarian Scientific Research Fund (OTKA) # F5480, 1992-1995)
- Environmental changes and evolutionary responses of the migrating birds. (Hungarian Scientific Research Fund (OTKA) # F17709, 1995-1998)
- Effects of climate change on the longdistance migrating birds. (Hungarian Scientific Research Fund (OTKA) #T29853, 1999-2002.
- Effetcs of local, regional and global environmental factors on migrating birds (Hungarian Scientific Research Fund (OTKA) # T42879, 2003-2006
- Evaluation of riverside habitats on the base of the avian fauna along the Upper Tisza. Hungarian Education Ministry (MKM) #564 1996-1997.
- Theoretical basic and structure for the information system of the Hungarian National Biodiversity Monitoring Program. PHARE and Ministry of Environment and Regional Policy (1996-1997).
- Developing countrywide common bird census, based on random sampling design in Hungary. EBCC and RSPB join pilot project. 1998-
- Developing protocols for monitoring the birds in Hungary. Ministry of Environment 1999.
- Developing monitoring and forecasting methods for birds breeding in riverside banks and sand pits along the Upper Tisza, KKA #h 55, 1997-1998.
- Developing countrywide surveying network and protection program for sand martin (Riparia riparia) , KKA98/3203, 1998-2000.
- Active protection for bird breeding in sand pits along the Upper Tisza, KAC # 017229-01/1999, 1999.
EXPERIENCES RELATED TO THE SCIENTIFIC WORK:
- Developing computer program package (CAP) for capture-recapture studies
- Application of ringing data for capture-recapture studies
- Developing the first Computerised Data Bank on wild animals data (Bird Ringing) in Central Europe
- Developing computer programs for handling biological information
- Studying morphological aspects of the migration on passerines by multivariate statistical methods
- Studying bird migration by weather radar in Hungary
- Conservation biological investigation of the Corncrakes in Hungary
- Integrated population monitoring research on the Sand Martin in Hungary
- Developing of methods and information system for the monitoring of the Hungarian breeding birds
- Studying effects of African weather on the survival of the Sand Martin by capture-recapture modeling
- Studying dispersal of the birds by capture-recapture technique
- Studying the colonial breeding of the Sand Martin, respect to the Information Centre Hypothesis
- Computer simulation work for studying the relation between the food pattern and food finding strategies
- Studying pairformation and sexual selection on the Sand Martin and Barn Swallow
- Studying effects of ectoparasites on sand martins
- Studying heavy metal pollution in feathers of the birds
- Monitoring of common birds using random sampling design
- Computer programing in C, PASCAL, BASIC, CLIPPER and DBASE languages
- Multimedia development and application
EXPERIENCES RELATED TO THE NATURE PROTECTION:
1979- Taking Nature Photos, exhibitions, publication in books and news
1981- Organising local NGO (HOS) work at the Upper Tisza region:
field surveys, camps, exhibitions, lectures, clubs, education
1986- Developing Monitoring survey on breeding bird population along the River Tisza
1987- Organising surveys, researches and protection campaigns on national level at the HOS
1987-1988 Developing the first Computerised Data Bank on wild animals data (Bird Ringing) in Central Europe
1990 Habitat protection, campaign and public awerness - seminar in Great Britain, organised by Royal Society for Protection of Birds (RSPB), International Council for Bird Preservation
1990-1992 NGO development project at HOS, cooperation with RSPB
1991-1992 Leading the Upper Tisza Project, sponsored by Regional Environmental Center #272
1991- Video filming on natural values and environmental problems
1991- Organising, and developing nature protection NGO, the Upper Tisza Foundation (UTF)
1992-1993 Publicity work in UTF Green City project in Nyíregyháza
1995- Member of the experts Commitee of "The Ecological survey for the integrated regional development along the river Tisza" program, Ministry of Environment and Regional Policy and Department of Ecology, Kossuth Lajos University, Debrecen
1995- Survey and preparation of a cross-border (Hungary, Romania, Slovakia, Ukraine) protected area along the Upper Tisza in the frame of Ramsari Convention.
- Ecological Commitee of the Hungarian Academy of Science
- Association for the Study of Animal Behaviour
- British Ornithologists' Union
- British Ecological Society
- Hungarian Ornithological and Nature Conservation Society, Member of the Board
- Hungarian Ethological Society
- Hungarian Biological Society, Ecological and Zoological section
- Hungarian Ecological Society
- Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg County Scientific Committee of the Hungarian Academy of Science
Address:Dr. Tibor Szép Department of Environmental Sciences College of Nyíregyháza Nyíregyháza P.O. Box 166 H- 4401 HUNGARY
Tel: 36 30 9655 836
Fax: 36 42 443 544
Back to the Home Page